Monday, May 11, 2009

Interview with Shawn Good

Who: Shawn Good
What: Solo singer and guitarist
When: Friday, May 15, 2009 7pm
Where: at the Grand Opening of Vinyl Perk - map
How Much: Free!

On Friday the 15th, Pocatello warmly welcomes a new coffee house to the downtown area. The Vinyl Perk has its Grand Opening with music by guitarist and vocalist Shawn Good, making his debut Pocatello performance with a surprise special guest performing.

Located at 150 S. Main Street in Pocatello, the Vinyl Perk features the largest selection of vinyl records around - from Johnny Cash to the Clash and everything in between, some Skynyrd plus several copies of Blues Image and the single Love Can Make You Happy by Mercy. They will be offering live music every Friday.

Vinyl Perk owner Jay Reeves played drums in a band in South Carolina, then took a 30-year detour to law school to practice law in NC and SC. “Now with Vinyl Perk, my wife and I are circling back to original passions: art, records, coffee,” Reeves said. “I also look forward to giving bands and artists a nice, appreciative venue (in which) to perform, because I am a music lover first and foremost, and I know that live shows can be magical.”

I caught up with Shawn Good about his upcoming performance at the Vinyl Perk.

SLG: Describe your genre of music. Maybe list your three best crowd-pleasing songs?

SG: My music is from all around the block. You'll be hearing 70's rock classics, to 60's jazz/blues, Southern Rock, Country music from the 80/90's and todays music, as well as my original music.

Crowd Pleasers:
1. Sweet Home Alabama (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
2. Sittin on the Dock of the Bay (Otis Redding)
3. Stand by Me (Ben E. King)


SLG: What is your appeal to your fans?

SG: I tailor my set depending on the crowd that shows up that night. If I have a crowd that shows up and they want to hear country well, we can go country, if they want to keep it older music, hey, we can do that too.

SLG: Have you worked in any local bands? Or have you always been a solo artist?

SG: Since moving to Idaho, always been a solo guy. I do have a nice gal, Amber Lytle, who will be beginning to join me on set for a few songs. If you like Ani Defranco / Missy Higgins / Jewel, uou'll love her. I'll have her jump up with me at the Vinyl Perk for a few songs.

SLG: Tell us where you're from and currently based in what town?

SG: I was born and raised in Nashville, Tennessee, where my dad was a familiar artist in the 60/70's area. I now reside in Idaho Falls.

SLG: Past shows or venues you'd like to brag about?

SG: Been found playing at the Vino Rosso in Idaho Falls, The Cellar and Old Irwin Lodge out in Swan Valley.

SLG: Past or future shows in the Pocatello area?

SG: This will be my first time coming down to Pocatello - Super excited about getting down this direction.

SLG: Describe this particular show. What can ppl expect if they come to this show? Can you tell us what you know about this venue?

SG: Will be at the all new "Vinyl Perk," a great place to sit/relax/enjoy some great java while listening to your favorite tunes. I'll be down there Friday, May 15 starting around 7:00 pm and playing til 9:30 or so. Don't be surprised if we keep going past that

I think people that come to this show will be surprised at the versatility of the music all being done on an acoustic guitar. You'll hear covers from Lynard Skynard, Cream, Otis Redding, Tim McGraw, Blake Shelton, Ani Defranco, Missy Higgins and much more original music that I've written myself.


SLG: Any comments about the local live music scene, the music industry in general? What do you think is the best way to get your music out there?

SG: Best way to get your music out there is to be aggressive and put it out there yourself. YouTube is great, MySpace is good too. We can't forget the ever so popular Facebook either. [much as many of us would like to! -SLG]



Above is a live clip from the Vino Rosso in Idaho Falls. Click here for one of Shawn Good's originals, Deserve.

SLG: How can fans contact you? Myspace? or another website?

SG: Myspace is good, www.myspace.com/ifguitarman, or email mysteriouso@live.com.

No comments:

Tell Your Friends

Bookmark and Share