Friday, June 5, 2009

Interview with Justin Klump

Who: Justin Klump
What: In Concert
Where: Idaho State University Quad, Pocatello, ID
When: Thursday, Jule 11, 2009, 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
How Much: Free !!

The grandson of a Symphony conductor, Justin Klump was raised with a respect for music and a love for performing. Whether playing solo or with his band, at the core of Justin's live show is a certain mastery of the guitar. Portland Classic Guitar declared Justin's show to be "Stunning" and "Unforgettable!" and Entertainment World exclaimed "Here's a young man whose voice and guitar play will knock your socks off!"

At the heart of these performances is a 25 year-old who is earning the respect of audiences across the country. Having played such venues as Qwest Arena in Boise, Hotel Café in Los Angeles and Aladdin Theater and Crystal Ballroom in Portland, Justin is distinguishing himself as a musician worth watching. Logging over a hundred thousand miles flying and driving throughout the country, he has shared the stage with such notable acts as Everclear, Matt Nathanson and Tyrone Wells.

"I want to get to a point where I can tour eight to ten months of the year and play constantly," Klump says. "I love performing." He started playing the guitar at 15. "Music has always been in my family; it's such a part of who I am. I'd done music since I was born, but when I started playing the guitar and writing songs, the pieces fit. I knew what I had to do with my life."


SLG: You're a solo act? Have you worked with other musicians in a full band before?

JK: I do most of my touring outside of Oregon and Washington as a solo act because it’s easiest logistically and financially. For instance, as a solo act, I can hop on a plane to Boise, rent a small car that I can drive to Pocatello in and just throw my guitar and gear in the trunk. Bringing a band, there’s quite a bit more to figure out and arrange.

I’ve played with a lot of great musicians and have a band that I play with for a lot of my Portland dates and some Seattle shows. I’ve been doing a lot of traveling over the past few months, so I’ve played a lot of solo shows lately. This summer, I’ll be playing most of my Portland and Seattle dates with a band though.

SLG: Tell us where you're from and currently based in what town?

JK: I was born and raised in Vancouver, WA, and am currently based out of there. At shows, I usually say that I’m from Portland, Oregon, but that’s just to avoid playing the runaround with people that have no clue where Vancouver, Washington is. People, especially on the East Coast, or in the South, tend to know where Portland, Oregon is, but they have no clue where Vancouver, Washington is.

When I do say that I’m from Vancouver, WA, the conversation usually goes something like this…

So you’re from Canada?

No, I’m from Washington.

Oh, Washington DC?

No, Washington state…it’s near Portland.

Maine?
And you can imagine how the rest of the conversation usually goes.

SLG: Past shows or venues you'd like to brag about? Past or future shows in the Pocatello area?

JK: Last summer, I played at the Qwest Arena in Boise, and I’ve played a few other colleges in Idaho. I tour regularly throughout the country and have played some cool venues like Hotel Café in Los Angeles, Aladdin Theater and Crystal Ballroom in Portland and Nectar in Seattle.

SLG: Do you have any videos on YouTube? If so, what is the url?

JK: The best place to check out videos is on my website at www.justinklump.com, but the direct YouTube url is youtube.com/jkmusicllc



SLG: Recordings? Will you have CD's or more for sale at the show?

JK: I’ll have copies of my new album, Thousand Mile Dream, as well as some copies of an earlier EP, Something for September.

SLG:How can fans contact you? Myspace? or another website?

JK: I’m on Twitter (twitter.com/justinklump) Facebook Music (Facebook, search for Justin Klump), MySpace (myspace.com/justinklump) and I have my contact info up on my website at JustinKlump.com, email is Justin@justinklump.com.

No comments:

Tell Your Friends

Bookmark and Share