Monday, June 29, 2009

Interview with Michael Sullivan

Who: Michael Sullivan
What: Duo (guitar and sax) opening for 2am Logic
Where: The Quad, Idaho State University, Pocatello ID - map
When: Thursday, July 2, 2009 6:00pm
How Much: Free!


Mike Sullivan has been compared to Jack Johnson, Dave Matthews and John Mayer. His concerts on college campuses have been well received, and the Los Angeles Music Awards gave him a nod with a nomination for Independent Male Singer / Songwriter of the Year. I was interested in finding out more; here's what I found.


SLG: Describe your genre of music in as much detail as you like. Maybe list your three best crowd-pleasing songs? Can you explain in what way do you most appeal to your fans?

MS: My style is different/unique. It's a mixture of pop, jazz, funk, and a few secret ingredients.

SLG: Band member first and last names / instruments. How long has this line-up been together?

MS: I have a 5 piece band. For this particular concert we are performing as a duet (sax & guitar). We're looking forward to playing outdoors at your campus. It sounds like a beautiful venue.

SLG: Tell us where you're from and currently based in what town?

MS: I'm from Chicago, but I live in Los Angeles, near the beach in a relaxing surf town. I try to surf as often as possible. I'm also trying to improve my cooking skills on my new grill. It's fun, even though I burn stuff from time to time.

SLG: Past shows or venues you'd like to brag about? Past or future shows in the Pocatello area?

MS: We had fun opening up for multi-platinum recording artist Taylor Dayne [wiki] last summer.

SLG: Describe this particular show. What can ppl expect if they come to this show?

MS: July 2nd, 2009 at 6pm (60 min concert).

SLG: Any comments about the local live music scene, the music industry in general? What do you think is the best way to get your music out there?

MS: That question could fill a few books with info.

SLG: Do you have any favorite videos of your band on YouTube?

MS: It's funny you ask about videos because my friends wanted to help shoot a video for one of my songs....but they got sick on the last day of a 2 day shoot (director and camera guy), so we never got to shoot the light material to balance it out....so there is all this heavy stuff on it. The editor got busy working on some TV/Movie trailers (her bread and butter), so she had to take a break on my video which I totally understood.

So I tried editing it myself on final cut pro (I'm a beginner at best at editing film/videos)....but I did the best I could with the limited footage. The song "Stay for a While" is about being there for someone going through a tough time. Just to be by their side during a rough storm. It's kind of an "in the middle" song...not a dark, deep message at all.

But the video showed a much deeper, darker visual...which does not accurately fit the song. I learned a very valuable lesson. To make sure whoever offers to help you, make sure they see what you see concept-wise, so you end up with your vision, not theirs. Even if their heart is in the right place....it's important to stick to your vision. My next video will be amazing and more accurately reflect the message of the song.




SLG: Recordings? Will you have CD's or more for sale at the show?

MS: We will have 2 CD's (possibly 3 different CD's available)....we sold out of one CD (I need to order more asap). But YES, we will have CD's available for everyone to buy their own copy. I'm happy to sign them too.

SLG: How can fans contact you? Myspace? or another website?

MS: www.myspace.com/mikesullivanband or my email which is mjs@mikesullivanband.com. CD's available at mikesullivanband.com.

No comments:

Tell Your Friends

Bookmark and Share