Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Interview with Steve Means

Who: Steve Means
What: Guitarist, singer and songwriter in concert
When: Thursday, June 25, 2009 7 - 8:00pm
Where: Idaho State University Quad, Pocatello ID - map
How Much: Free!!


Steve Means is a 21-year old acoustic singer/songwriter from Cincinnati, OH. Blending smooth grooves with powerful, open lyrics, Steve has become a respected member of Ohio's and Nashville's younger creative community. Quickly becoming a campus favorite at Ohio State, he played hundreds of shows with his appealing, natural, acoustic sound. Eager to get his foot into the "Biz", Steve relocated to Nashville, TN. A triple threat songwriter, musician, and performer, Steve Means has hooks that satisfy even the most discriminating listeners.

I caught up with Steve Means the other day about his music and his upcoming performance at Idaho State University in Pocatello.


SLG: Describe your genre of music in as much detail as you'd like. How do fans react to your music?

SM: I'd describe my music as acoustic/soul or even "green-eyed, white-boy soul" =) Some of the crowd favorites include my rendition of Stevie Wonder's "Superstition," along with my two new singles, "You and Me" and "Now or Never". People seem to connect to my music because it's honest, and makes you bob your head or even dance a little. And that's OK =)

I'm a one-man-band and travel to all of my college shows by myself. I drive myself, set everything up, perform, tear it down, then off to the next city! My live show involves me "looping" or layering of multiple guitar parts, allowing me to create beats and background vocals in real time..

SLG: Where are you from and currently based from what city?

SM: I'm from Cincinnati, OH and currently based out of Nashville, TN. I've been using Nashville as my "home base" for the past three years, mainly just home long enough to do my laundry and re-pack the suitcase.

SLG: I hear ya! Any favorite shows or venues from the past you'd like to tell us about?

SM: In the past, I've opened up for such national acts as Jason Mraz, Matt Wertz, Ryan Cabrera and so many talented friends/musicians from Nashville.

SLG: Tell us about this upcoming show. What can people expect to if they go?

SM: I'll be performing a FREE concert at Idaho State University this Thursday, June 25th at 7:00pm inside [or if the weather is nice, outside -SLG] the Student Center. It's open to the public and is ALL ages. I'll play from 7:00-8:00pm.

SLG: How can fans get your music?

SM: I recently had TWO of my songs featured on MTV's The Real World and The Hills. Those two singles "You and Me" and "Now or Never", as well as all of my other songs can be found on ITUNES.

SLG: And how can fans keep in touch with you?

SM: Fans can connect with my tour videos I document as well as popular covers on YouTube at www.youtube.com/user/smeansmusic



Come find me on:
www.myspace.com/stevemeans
www.facebook.com/stevemeans
www.twitter.com/stevemeans

No comments:

Tell Your Friends

Bookmark and Share